Friday, August 14, 2009

My Nervous Breakdown -

So this week, I think around Monday, I had a complete nervous breakdown. COMPLETE! Almost all of my female friends are obsessed with three things: weight, men and marriage. I guess men and marriage can be seen under the same umbrella but they are still very different. It's like, I have friends that date crappy men and complain about them all the time (I find myself in and out of this category often) and then I have friends that are freaking out, scared of never finding Mr. Right and getting married. The constant barrage of conversations that are always about these topics forced me into a feminist rant that unfortunately concluded around midnight.

At the end of all the trauma I realized that the people, well women, around me are definetly taking a toll on who I am. Don't get me wrong, my newly found love for war paint (makeup) and wigs was definetly something that I can't blame solely on anyone else, but I am beginning to see the real Jamila disappear. The afro rocking, no makeup wearing, feminist soul sister that I was before moving back to Chicago. I am letting my surrounding impact who I am and I need to get that in check. So in order to avoid my pattern of long, over thought out blogs I'll end it here. Just one last note, I am desperately seeking that old Jamila and hope that I can pull myself away from all this madness long enough to find her -

No comments: